PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ukraine War Thread Part 2
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2024, 19:01
Lonewolf_50

Received 431 Likes on 272 Posts
Originally Posted by henra
THAAD sadly got into troubled water and was suspended and never resumed. So it would be on Patriot to catch all incoming. With the number of systems Germany has it has to decide what to defend. Some will be needed for Buechel, some for the most important military facilities. That won't leave too many for protecting Berlin.
5 - 10 Nuclear Kinzhals + 5 - 10 Iskander would probably do the job of wiping out Berlin since chances are one of those would get through. Warning time would be ~4 minutes from launch.
Got it. As I understand it, Japan is working out how to sell Patriots under license. Might want to sign up for a few more ...
The problem with Ballistic Missile Defense against nukes ist that even if you miss a single one the consequences for a city like Berlin would be catastrophic. With hundreds of thousands to millions of Deaths.
True enough. Most of the scenarios we ran were chem/bio/conventional war head based. Thanks for the elaboration.
Originally Posted by henra
Strategic ICBMs would be one escalation level too high. Single digit quantity 'tactical' Nuclear SRBM on a Non- Nuke State could be the ticket to getting away with eliminating a Country without severe consequences especially if corresponding signals are sent e.g. by a colourful (re-) aspiring guy.
FWIW, I think that the Germans are / were tied into some sharing on the US EW network a while back, but it's been so many years I can't say how that fits current events.