PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ukraine War Thread Part 2
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2024, 14:43
henra

Received 106 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Lonewolf_50
Little means? THAAD/Patriot TBMD. Germany was in on the few projects I was working on back in the 90's involving TBMD / NATO AACS and such. (And I am sure they were party to its successors).
Not sure what German posture is currently, so I am out of date.
THAAD sadly got into troubled water and was suspended and never resumed. So it would be on Patriot to catch all incoming. With the number of systems Germany has it has to decide what to defend. Some will be needed for Buechel, some for the most important military facilities. That won't leave too many for protecting Berlin. 5 - 10 Nuclear Kinzhals + 5 - 10 Iskander would probably do the job of wiping out Berlin since chances are one of those would get through. Warning time would be ~4 minutes from launch.
While I can see you concerns as regards how the world looks from Schotz's point of view, Ballistic Missile Defense exists.
As to the hypersonic missiles, etc, yeah, that's a new threat class. Shoot the archer...
The problem with Ballistic Missile Defense against nukes ist that even if you miss a single one the consequences for a city like Berlin would be catastrophic. With hundreds of thousands to millions of Deaths.