PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook ZD576 - The Concealed Evidence
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2024, 10:13
Flipster130

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts
Chug
In fairness to the accident investigator Tony Cable - who was an excellent chap indeed, who was adamant both then and now that there was not much evidence at the crash site to go on (so bad was the impact and ensuing fire). But he did say the "Absence of Evidence is no way the same as Evidence of Absence" (referring to failures and faults and what the BOI and ROs inferred to mean the ac was 'serviceable'). Its been shown that the ac may have been serviceable but definitely wasn't 'airworthy' as the RTS was a fabrication.
It was also TC (and Rob Burke) who identified similar airworthiness failings in a Chinook crash in the FI in 1987.
I am sure you don't mean to cast aspersions at TC individually - more that you point the finger at the whole BOI process, mostly at the totally ineffective and jaundiced oversight by SROs which was very badly flawed - I think we can all agree on that. (The 1980 Tench Report is clear on this).
Don't forget that Rob Burke was controversially DIRECTLY ORDERED (by OC Ops Odiham) not to assist TC and the BOI in any way in Jun 1994....I wonder if that man has ever stopped to ask why? Why would senior Air Officers want to interfere with an investigation? ...I cant think!
Furthermore, I have seen a copy of the original BOI where it is so obvious that the words of the Chair of the BOI and Stn Cdr Odiham have been altered. perhaps more than once (under duress?).....more outside interference?
At least now, the DAAIB has properly trained investigators embedded within team - which is also more separate from the CoC. However, there is still too close a link with that chain perhaps as many are serving officers with annual reports to be written by the self-same CoC? I'm sure there are other issues with DAAIB but its definitely a step ahead of 1994. Also we have a more Just Culture (or so we are told)...but I hear you nonetheless!
Having said all that.....What if the equivalent of ZD576 were to happen tomorrow (foreign design, integration problems, no FDR, no survivors etc)? I wonder whether the modern investigation process would find out what the MOKG and Dave Hill & Co have done since and leading up to the Philip Inquiry.....doubt it. I was asked this question by the ZD576 BOI President - I said as much and he didn't correct me.