PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AUKUS
Thread: AUKUS
View Single Post
Old 18th Apr 2024, 07:40
Going Boeing

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ORAC
Working on the basis of 4 Dreadnaught, 5 SSNA for Australia and 7 for the UK as Astute replacements will need around 3 tons over the next 30 years. So there is no rush to restart production.
I believe that the stated number of 5 SSN-A’s for the RAN is an erroneous figure which originates from media who didn’t study the timeline for retirement of existing submarines. The first 2 Virginia’s (circa 2032/4) are slated to have 20 years of service life remaining and will be operating in addition to the 6 Collins class. The first Collins (Farncomb) will be replaced by the 3rd Virginia (2038) and the rest of the Collins will be replaced by the first 5 Australian built SSN-A’s. The first 2 Virginia’s will then be replaced by the 6th & 7th SSN-A. Eventually, the 3rd Virginia will be replaced by the last (8th) SSN-A as the RAN will not want to support multiple types in its submarine fleet any longer than necessary due to the increased cost and higher manning levels.

The option for 2 additional Virginia’s is only there in case there are lengthy delays with the SSN-A program & are thus needed to fill the gaps as the Collins class retires. I’m sure that everyone involved is hoping that they are not necessary due to the high additional costs.

The aim is for the RAN to end up with a single fleet of 8 SSN-A’s with the Collins & Virginia’s retired.

I would not be surprised if, assuming funding becomes available, the RN will want more than 7 SSN-A’s as they are finding their current fleet is stretched.