PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadet Gliding pix in the 80s (pre glass)
Old 12th Apr 2024, 20:24
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
New Accommodation at LR

On mil Av, new accommodation for 621 & 637 opened LR 10th April. !!!!!

Will finish the 'Barge Canopy' bit now as weather absolutely rubbish outside just like day I first flew 'The Canopy'
Was at Swanton in the winter doing a glider inspection/repair course with C/tech in the hangar.
However on a couple of days there was some flying for camp staff and as a P2 staff Cdt I was detailed for the task.
Barge appeared complete with multi panelled (unit made) canopy replacing the two flexi wind screens.
Damp o cast day so first victim was duly presented and we were then sealed in so to speak, cable on and away.
AS we got airborne the vis started to deteriorate to the point that it became a 'sideways' look out which being Swanton was a green airfield surrounded by more green fields hence very little vis ref points to feel one's way around the circuit. This was not helped by the 'internal vis' now being also reduced by the external vis and a greater height attained compared with my base site at Kenley. Of course this was a strictly VMC operation but in rather IMC conditions. I quickly decided that a swift180 was required to gain a 'sideways look for the camp and then get down asap. The only plus factor was I was the only machine airborne and Swanton was not festooned with ground objects to ruin the day. Anyway we proceeded to grope our way around and then the relief of seeing the caravan and setting her down alongside. A very happy passenger thanked the somewhat chastened driver for the trip, and then we were 'unsealed' into a much clearer regime. I honestly thought we were going to scrub any more ops but I Ladley seemed quite unconcerned with my camp excursion, and proceeded to find more victims to prolong my agony. Any attempt to clear the multi perspex panels was futile so having sort of come up with the sideways look system I was glad to add a few more launches to finish off my 'interesting' week, and by my 8th flight I was less terrified by the whole experience. I did learn by that, and years later it was very useful on several occasions. It was my first experience of a closed cockpit after years of being out in the open !!!

Last edited by POBJOY; 12th Apr 2024 at 21:15.