PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC vote to take Protected Industrial action against Airservices Australia.
Old 8th Apr 2024, 09:40
Awol57

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Clare Prop
And yet my student at the time is an ATC from the London area who has moved here, applied to Airservices in February for a job and has never even had a response to his expression of interest. It looks from the website like they only want overseas qualified controllers in Queensland, and only Victoria needs trainees, even though it is way beyond crisis point in WA. Current opportunities - Airservices (airservicesaustralia.com)

So I don't accept staff shortages as a reason for this. This has been going on for several months. Various different voices have come and gone but they still restrict the circuit operations. Someone is probably getting KPIs and pocketing bonuses in Canberra and we have to deal with yet another nail in GA's coffin.

Every time we send a disappointed student home who hasn't been able to have their circuit lesson costs us $500 and this can happen several times a week. Of course the airport leaseholders aren't getting their landing fees either, so they will probably just crank up the rents to cover it. And on it goes.
i can't speak as to why your student hasn't heard back, but VIC is where the main training establishment is, QLD can also do some which is likely why they are listed for experienced controllers.

I believe there is 3 or 4 trainee at JT at the moment (not certain so don't take that as gospel) so hopefully the restrictions will ease as they come online. I realise that doesn't help the immediate problem but hopefully some light in the tunnel somewhere.
The following users liked this post: