PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Birmingham-8
Thread: Birmingham-8
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2024, 18:28
OltonPete

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brussels

Originally Posted by Barbette165
Brussels Airlines are showing 12 flights a week from Birmingham for the winter schedule (06:05 and 16:45 Monday-Friday, 06:05 on Saturday and 16:45 on Sunday).
Does anyone know if these are an actual plan or just haven't been removed from the booking engine?

By the way, when I started travelling regularly between BHX and BRU in 1999, there were about 12 flights a day to Brussels (British Airways, British Midland and Sabena), with 3 scheduled to depart around 0630.
That is the plan I believe but of course it is a long time between now and then and the cynic in me is half-expecting the flights quietly to be removed mid summer. 12 A week sounds about right and it would be very disappointing if they feel they can't sustain the route when they will have aircraft spare but fully understand that there are better markets in summer to make more money.

The Cityjet CRJX's were probably a better aircraft in terms of capacity for this route although they have made a terrible start to the summer on LH954/5 - first one landed BHX went tech, second departed Frankfurt got as far as the east coast of the UK and turned back and today it didn't even bother and Lufthansa sent an A320.

I went on the Brussels early 90's when there were the two operators, the BA 1-11, I was due to fly home on went tech in Brussels and most of us piled on BD660 an hour later DC9-15 G-BMAC .I think it was around 5 a day in the week at that time, 2 x BA and 3 x BD.

Pete