PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will H225 return offshore?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Apr 2024, 18:10
albatross

Received 156 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by HeliComparator
The certification requirement is for 30 mins, hence that is what it says in the EOPs (and what you should do) but the system was tested for 52 mins. So there is some reserve, although one must still obey the EOP 30 minutes.
A good system to have as back up.
So with a Vy of 80 kts and providing the emergency lube system works. It is best to have a place to land within 35-40 Nm given zero winds. If not near a rig or the shore at least you have lots of time to look for a passing ship, flat iceberg, etc., brief the pax and get SAR enroute to your probable splash down area. ( we used to joke in the Persian Gulf that the biggest danger in a ditching was to be hit by or hitting a huge tanker. )

The meaning and intention of term “Land or Ditch Immediately” can’t be stressed enough.
It is not meant to save the aircraft but to save as many lives as possible in a very bad situation regardless of what is underneath the helicopter be it jungle, mountain, stormy seas or 5* resort where the Swedish Bikini Team is in training.
A horrible decision for a Capt. to have to make but it must be made.

My only experience with this kind of thing was engine failures in single engine machines where no decision making upon my part was required. I was very lucky in all events. Thank the aviation Gawds for excellent training.
As one great instructor once told me : “When something goes wrong you should be disappointed but not surprised.”