PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light aircraft crash IWM Duxford
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2024, 15:44
Hot 'n' High

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by JEM60
'Watch him spin, watch him burn, he took off bank in a low speed turn' .......... Be good if all power pilots flew gliders first???........
.................... or Spinning was still taught at PPL and refreshed regularly. I took an elderly owner (a lovely lady with many hours in her logbook) up for a check-flight in her own aircraft for her annual insurance company requirements. Towards the end (she flew very well) I cautiously asked if she would like to do a spin (not required as part of the check but the a/c was cleared for spinning). She was very hesitant but said "yes - just one" as she hadn't done one since she had qualified years ago.

After 10 spins in a row (a) I was feeling rather queasy and (b) the Approach Radar at an adjacent International airport must have been wondering "What the hell????????!!!" and (c) fuel was starting to get low (the excuse I finally used to "knock it off") so we called it a day! She, however, was ready for more!!!!

Most importantly, she was, by then, fully aware again of how easy it was get into a spin by various means....... and how long it took to get out of one if it got fully established and how to recover from an incipient spin and what additional problems that could bring if she was not ready for them (in a humble C172). All forgotten over the preceding hundreds of hours she'd flown!