PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light aircraft crash IWM Duxford
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2024, 09:39
NoelEvans

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by punkalouver
There have been several TBM700 accidents with lots of power(torque) applied at very low speeds leading to uncontrolled flight and crash. One doesn't typically think of an SR-22 as some sort of high performance WWII handling fighter aircraft and having flown one, I certainly don't. But, I suppose if one is on the edge of a stall and suddenly adds lots of power, they can end up in a situation like this. Perhaps, there was a lack of proper rudder input.

It can be the instinctive mind, in this case wanting as much power as possible due a high state of concern being so close to the ground and wanting to avoid nosegear damage. I have been in the situation(sliding on ice in a vehicle toward an object) where the instinctive brain takes over and one just continues applying as much faulty application as is physically possible. In my case it was demanding more and more braking when less braking which if modulated would likely have been preferential(and yes, I hit the object firmly). In the airplane case, it can be less power is better but the instinctive brain that has taken over is demanding full power and even more if it were possible.

While there may be more to this particular accident, I would take away from these high power engine accidents on certain aircraft is to avoid very large power applications in near stall situations like this, when in an aircraft having a significantly large amount of power. Consider a partial application of power at first with reasonably brisk application to regain control and then smoothly add more power as required. In order to make it a more likely action, a quick reminder prior to flight(or approach) could be useful, so that it has been reviewed recently.

Many pilots will have a background of rapid power applications on lower-powered aircraft where it was not an issue which can continue over to a new relatively high-powered aircraft.
Originally Posted by markkal
Excellent post Punkalover

I have been allowed to try the SR22 of a friend, and am currently the owner of a 315 HP high performance aircraft and have been the owner of a Sukhoi 29 with 450 HP M14P Engine.

These aircraft don't have enough torque - compared to the immense power to weight ratio and propeller disks diameters of WW2 fighters- (Even the Sukhoi 29 with its 2,60 m diameter MTV-9 Muhlabuer prop) to interfere with a sudden full power application at low speed. They will torque roll in the air -which is an aerobatic maneuver- but at a very slow roll rate.

Your analogy with the car is spot on. Take an automobile and when you loose grip, especially with those old rear wheel drive without stability control, (Yes decades ago you needed to know how to handle them), the instinct to brake made the situation worse, as by doing so the weight due to inertia shifted forward and the car started spinning. Likewise a mororcycle in a bend will not turn by shifting the drivers weight but only when destablising the gyroscopic effect of balance by countersteering in the direction opposite to the turn.

Physics is not an opinion; An aircraft at the backside of the envelope, automobile when starting to drift, motorcycle when cornering at high speed need techniques, skills, awareness and knowledge which are not part of the driving or pilot's licence. There is a needd for further training.

An SR22 is definitely high performance when compared to the older spam cams; It is twitchy at low speed and needs precise inputs, you must be gentle, quick and must be right.

The SR22 will need the attention and the skills it takes to confidently fly an extra 300 in the backside of the corner envelope. I.E. one has to be gentle with very littke inputs on the stick, coordinated with right foot application to correct yaw due to slipstream and P factor, and pick up any tendency of a dropping wing correcting with opposite foor NEVER with opposite aileron. And NEVER pull on the yoke when down and low.

Cirrus has a dedicated course, I would strongly recommend to take a few flights, not doing any aerobatics but just exple the backside corner of the flight envelope with an Extra 300 with a suitable instructor. It will give a level and confidence and skills which will likely not only have you enjoy a fantastic machine but to be in control and safe in any scenario.
Good Posts, both.

Far too many pilots are not taught how and why to use the rudders properly (they are not 'foot rests'"").

Don't 'under-rate' "the older spam cams"!! The old ones that I learnt on made you very, very much aware of the use of rudder and the effects of power!