PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin pilots
Thread: Virgin pilots
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2024, 05:26
Biatch

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by farrari
Any MCG over 60 hrs on a pay rate for Captains of less than $350,000 is unacceptable, un professional, uncompetitive and so low in the real world it is an insult to their worth.
Originally Posted by Tabasco James
A base of $350,000 for a captain would not be an unrealistic figure giving the responsibility and risk for the position.
Originally Posted by MikeHatter732
$350k for a 180 seat skipper is hardly extreme
Where are you getting this number from? Seriously. Whilst it is desirable, to me it sounds made up. Plucked from thin air. Without relevant local precedent and without justifiable logic other than “I reckon”. And just to clarify, are you (we) talking about base pay (no overtime) or are you talking about average usual take home pay at the end of the year??? (including usual overtime…. For example what the average line cpt would see on their EOFY tax statement)
​​​​​​​
There is no precedent for $350k base salary for a narrowbody cpt in Australia. Not even Q mainline 737. I’m looking at the QF short haul EBA and it states $245k. Given their MCG is 53hrs…

Further there is no logical arguement for $350k from the current $210k base now (@ 57.5 hrs). Even with the logic of an increase of MCG to 69 hrs bringing it to $250k on CURRENT existing T&Cs, how?? How is anyone able to argue for / justify an increase of $100k to the base pay? Again, I’d love it as much as the next driver… but in what reality is that possible?

The overseas arguement is about as valid as arguing that house prices in Aus should be the same as country x, y or z. So what?!? Different market, experiencing different market forces. I can guarantee you there are 737 drivers in a variety of corners at the globe that are looking at Aus with envy. The outflow of pilots has never been high enough AND long enough for them to worry about it. Further, the availability of ex pats looking to come home for their lifestyle / retirement has always been plentiful enough that the supply of pilots willing to come back on the apparent terrible T&C’s. That has always been the issue that drives Aus T&Cs down IMO.
The following users liked this post: