PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will H225 return offshore?
View Single Post
Old 30th Mar 2024, 23:22
SASless

Received 521 Likes on 217 Posts
I pretty much agree with HC.

The short version I think goes along the line of "Perception is reality.".....even if the perception is flawed for very valid technical reasons.

My point earlier was to point that out....and that until EC finds a way to change the perception they shall have to live with reality.

Most of us can look at the remodeled oil filter containment of the 92 and understand how the mod solves that particular problem.

Few of us can analyze the causes and fixes of the Rotor Head problem that led to the 225 becoming persona non grata on the North Sea.

It may very well be fixed and what they are saying might be the God's honest truth....but thus far their efforts to put the perception to bed has not succeeded.

These modern aircraft are less of a danger to the passengers than the humans flying them as is borne out by the statistics and results of accident investigations.

Many....many years ago the Chinook decided to shed some blades due to Incidence Bolts shearing which allowed the blades to rotate in the cuff....with predictable results.

The cause was quickly found and a fix quickly instituted and every single Chinook Blade in the US Army inventory had to be modified.

The fix was simple....it required the Incidence Bolt be installed 90 degrees opposite the original direction (if the original was oriented vertically....the new one was horizontal or vice versa)...and we were told all was good.

It was.....but the attitude most of us shared was not very trusting. We were wrong and the Engineers were right.

We do have to remember that we have many single point failures in every helicopter that can cause us to end our flying career as passengers.....yet we climb into the aircraft and go about our trade trusting in the odds being in our favor.

All of the 225's that are still flying are proving to be safe so far.....so how does EC cure the perception problem.