PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light aircraft crash IWM Duxford
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2024, 16:29
punkalouver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
There have been several TBM700 accidents with lots of power(torque) applied at very low speeds leading to uncontrolled flight and crash. One doesn't typically think of an SR-22 as some sort of high performance WWII handling fighter aircraft and having flown one, I certainly don't. But, I suppose if one is on the edge of a stall and suddenly adds lots of power, they can end up in a situation like this. Perhaps, there was a lack of proper rudder input.

It can be the instinctive mind, in this case wanting as much power as possible due a high state of concern being so close to the ground and wanting to avoid nosegear damage. I have been in the situation(sliding on ice in a vehicle toward an object) where the instinctive brain takes over and one just continues applying as much faulty application as is physically possible. In my case it was demanding more and more braking when less braking which if modulated would likely have been preferential(and yes, I hit the object firmly). In the airplane case, it can be less power is better but the instinctive brain that has taken over is demanding full power and even more if it were possible.

While there may be more to this particular accident, I would take away from these high power engine accidents on certain aircraft is to avoid very large power applications in near stall situations like this, when in an aircraft having a significantly large amount of power. Consider a partial application of power at first with reasonably brisk application to regain control and then smoothly add more power as required. In order to make it a more likely action, a quick reminder prior to flight(or approach) could be useful, so that it has been reviewed recently.

Many pilots will have a background of rapid power applications on lower-powered aircraft where it was not an issue which can continue over to a new relatively high-powered aircraft.

Last edited by punkalouver; 28th Mar 2024 at 16:40.