PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light aircraft crash IWM Duxford
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2024, 13:00
lederhosen

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
I fly an SR22T off a short runway and am obviously motivated to learn as much as possible how to avoid getting into this kind of accident. I was immediately struck by the similarity with the Bankstown, Australia crash. Both pilots bounced and made the correct decision to go-around. The execution of this apparently straight forward maneuver is where things went terribly wrong on both occasions. Both were solo flights probably relatively light and as has been pointed out the 315 hp engine produces significant yaw at full power.

Most of us are used to doing touch and goes which are pretty easy in this aircraft. So as a relatively experienced Cirrus pilot I would not have expected this outcome. Maybe the nose angle reduced the visual cues. On a normal touch and go you have a reasonable view of the runway and the rudder is pretty effective. In a high bounce and with the added pitch up from a rapid application of power obviously things are different. Whilst the video is distressing it is quite illuminating and shows the aircraft had climbed rapidly before control was lost. The Cirrus has an audible stall warning, but it is pretty easy to trigger it by rotating a little enthusiastically and I have never known our aircraft to drop a wing. This is not something I would have expected and will definitely try to be cautious in this kind of situation.