PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light aircraft crash IWM Duxford
View Single Post
Old 28th Mar 2024, 07:53
blind pew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
»I would hazard a guess and say that most flying school instructors (especially new graduates) teach practice go arounds from short final at 200 feet where there is plenty of time to correct mishandling. On the other hand few would demonstrate a deliberate high bounced touch down where speed is close to the stall, energy is low and the aircraft pitches up and yaws and rolls at full power. of course this would be a dual exercise and not practiced by solo students »
100%
My first solo was in a Aircoupe at Rochford aérodrome now London Stansted where I bounced along the runway due to never being shown what to do in a bounced landing especially relevant with an unusually light aircraft without the instructor. I was probably saved because of the low power and strength of the aircraft. My instructors were hour builders on PPLs and not much good.
I bounced my first jet with a training captain and pax on board..again hadn’t been taught what to do which ended with the oxygen masks out and a set of hydraulic control warning lights and the odd generator off line. Many years later I did a gliding instructors rating which included a low level winch failure called the « bunny hop » where the aircraft is flying in ground effect just above the stall speed still connected to the cable; the national coach advised that we didn’t need to demonstrate it to pupils because of the risk involved.
Maybe the answer is better briefings, flying exercises or a simulator.