PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Model aircraft kits
View Single Post
Old 29th Jan 2004, 05:12
Lu Zuckerman

Iconoclast

Location: The home of Dudley Dooright-Where the lead dog is the only one that gets a change of scenery.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Among other things....

About the time I built the SE-5 I also built five or six smaller models. The wings were preformed and the under sides were to be covered in model tissue. The fuselages also had parts that were to be covered with tissue as well. In stead of using model tissue I undercut those areas to be covered with tissue and covered those areas with 1:32nd balsa plank. These models were super strong structural wise. When I had completed each model I would balance it out so it flew well and we would take them up in our PBY when we went out on patrol. On our return trip I would place the model in a large paper bag that had a kite cord attached to it. The pilots would put the P Boat in a sideslip and I would toss the model in the bag over the side. When the model was in undisturbed air I would yank on the cord and the model would come out of the bag. We usually did this around five thousand feet and we would follow the model down until it crashed in the Gulf of Mexico. Great sport. Almost as good as when we threw our excess flight rations over the side and watched the sharks fight over it.

PIGBOAT If you are ever in the neighborhood (Pincourt on Ile Perrot) give me a call and you can come over and check my model collection. There might even be a free meal. Your models are first class.

Last edited by Lu Zuckerman; 29th Jan 2004 at 11:33.