PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KAPF - Naples Florida - Challenger crash on highway
Old 19th Mar 2024, 03:06
resetjet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BizJetJock
The thrust levers definitely have to be at idle before the catches are lifted to shut down the engines. If you reach the stop with them already lifted even partially the balk is still there and you cannot reduce below idle. There have been cases on other types with a similar arrangement of the balk being so worn that it didn't work, but I have never heard of it on a Challenger. Of course CRJs do many, many more sectors in their life so the possibility of a worn out mechanism is greater.
Which brings us to the video posted above. We tried to duplicate this in a 604 sim, and even intentionally could not get the geometry to lift both catches at exactly the right time. It was extremely difficult to do even one, and that required a very unusual seating position for the PM to have their arm in the position shown in the video.
that has been my experience as well. As a 121 captain i had this happen many times, never shutting even 1 engine down. You need to go to idle stop, lift the levers quite a bit, then go to stop. The youtube video shows a very unrealistic scenario. Go to idle. Lift levers and then go to cutoff. However anything is possible, it is a logical explanation and would solve alot of problems, but is not without problems of its own. How hard is it to do. Would you immediately advance to idle cutoff and punch ignitor a/b? I would. Would it restart? I dont know. I guess we will have to wait and see. If no low fuel messages, and no fuel contamination it seems logical. I still say not enough fire. Plus jet a you can throw a match in a 5 gallon bucket and it will
go out. The only thing that makes it explode is being mixed with air and compressed. However that would happen with 200 gallons left, just alot more fire.