PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MCP ALT setting for visual approach in USA
Old 18th Mar 2024, 20:50
Check Airman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hans brinker
I totally agree, and with all your other posts on this thread.

However, it would be nice if there was a published standard heading/altitude for those times that ATC does not "otherwise instruct". I have been in the US for the last 20 years, and this is still a point of discussion, and it really should not be. ATIS advertises visual for a specific runway, and there is no NOTAM that the ILS for that rwy is not available. SOP is to back up the visual with that ILS, and set pattern altitude for the GA.
Was told to GA in BWI due to being too close to preceding traffic. Initially no other instructions were given by tower. Asked 4 times for an altitude, never got an assignment, finally was told to turn south (towards the 1100' towers, 2600' MSA) and contact approach. Approach was very busy, so FO and I agreed we would climb to 2000' before we were able to talk to them. Traffic overhead at 3000'. Obviously there was no plan in place to handle a GA in VMC, and that is not acceptable.
Like you said, ATC is not going to expect us to join the downwind at 1500', so pattern altitude does not apply, and ATC is responsible for providing a safe IFR altitude. So why not publish one?
I agree with your idea. It’d be nice for them to publish a “visual missed” altitude to expect.

I’d bring it up with my safety department for them to run up the chain, but I fear I’d be asked if it’s a solution in search of a problem.