PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C172 down near Camden - one fatality
View Single Post
Old 17th Mar 2024, 03:53
Clinton McKenzie

Received 255 Likes on 125 Posts
I evidently failed to make clear that a single, random event can cause multiple problems. I asked a question about your understanding of the consequences of the specific scenario of the throttle cable on the engine fitted to this aircraft breaking or becoming disconnected, simply to try to make clear that just because an engine was at 'high power' on impact does not prove the pilot deliberately set it to and left it at 'high power'.

The human mind naturally dichotomises: 'this' OR 'that' happened. But, in reality, 'this' AND 'that' (AND even another thing) could have happened.

Stating the fact that deliberate action of the pilot cannot be immediately discarded as a matter of principle is, in my mind, no justification for pilots actively speculating, publicly, that it was the cause in fact. I've raised the issue of pilots presuming the description "professional" before, and pointed out that the members of true professions do not engage in public criticism or public negative speculation about their colleagues. It brings the entire profession into disrepute because the members' opinions on the subject are perceived as having greater weight and authority. As I said earlier, there are already plenty of people out there ready and willing (and in some cases remunerated) to find fault in pilots. Their colleagues don't need to 'pile on'.
The following users liked this post: