PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Model aircraft kits
View Single Post
Old 28th Jan 2004, 23:36
Doodlebug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, just more general waffle..

As a kid I tried my hand at rudimentary dioramas featuring aircraft in centre-stage, however seeing as my attention span then was even less than it is now (roughly equal to that of the rare bearded desert-gnat), these projects tended to lose impetus as they progressed, or to peter out entirely. Trying to finish up some of my ideas from back then.

Also used to fiddle about with basic r/c models for a while. Astir 8, you'll appreciate this: got started as a glider pilot as a teenager and those of us into r/c would chuck our homebuilt 2 or 3 channel gliders into the back of our clubs' glider trailers when heading out into the 'bush' on long gliding camps. SF-34, Libelle, ASK-13 (THAT trailer was useless as a model-transport, all those cross-braces!), Blaniks and Phoebus. (old kit I know but, hey, this was in Africa and to us the aircraft were hi-tech! : ) When the days' soaring was done or when all aircraft were out cross-country, we'd launch a glider model and try to thermal with it. Great fun! One of my sidekicks actually became very good at it. I stank but the prangs were spectacular!

I digress. Am tempted to build some of the more unusual, read larger, types in 1:48 but it seems these models can often only be purchased in resin. Apparently these kits are not only difficult to construct but also exhibit an alarming tendency to sag after being on display for a while!? Any hints?