PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Birth Certificates - RAF Brats born overseas
Old 15th Mar 2024, 10:08
Mil-26Man

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Gordomac
Mil ; It probably also asks, specifically for "Citizenship" detail, then, place of birth. With the waiver programme, had I pitched up with a British passport showing place of birth as Secunderabad and British Subject status, I too might have been in for some serious jail potential Q and A's.

When the programme started, I was planning on USA leave. I checked with the British Council & the American Embassy. Both were very clear that the waiver was for "Citizens". Were I to have had in possession the old passport with "British Subject" status I would not have been granted entry.

Leeds, 1972, I obtained a certificate of registration changing my status. Subsequent passport renewals just showed " citizen "automatically...

I never had any problems but got some seriously funny looks at Border Security, mostly USA and UK (would you believe) when close inspection of my Brit passport, as a Brit Citizen, showed this very odd place of birth. Never denied entry anywhere but in the UK, one time, pretty Indian Security Officer had to call for Supervisor in case me, looking like an Aab terrorist, in my best Amani going away suit, resident of an Arabian Gulf STate was all that I said I was. It was just after 9-11.

Cleared, asked her if she fancied a curry but got a real dagger look.
The only issue I have ever had was a few years ago, coming back into the UK through a quite minor sea port I was pulled aside by an immigration officer and taken to a room where I was quizzed about my place of birth. Having explained to their satisfaction how I came to be born in the particular hospital and country I was, I asked why I had been singled out for questioning, to be told, "You're the fifth person to come through this port today who was born in that hospital, and it was beginning to look a little suspicious!"
The following users liked this post: