PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Eva Air present working conditions
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2024, 09:26
Matra 4EB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're joining from another company (you said you're already flying wide body in the USA), then the first thing you have to bear in mind is that EVA follows a strict seniority system. There is no way they will take you in as a direct entry, regardless of any previous background. You will inevitably join as junior FO.

Years ago, I joined EVA Air because I needed 1000 hrs widebody, in order to apply for a job in the ME. I did my research and talked to several people before making the move, so I knew what I was getting myself into. After I had the hours (about 20 months later), I quit, and "the rest is history".
It worked out fine for me, I got what I wanted, so I don't complain. EVA is, what it is.

That being said: it was a tough time. Learning your manuals off by heart, getting humiliated by instructors, being hated and disrespected by check-in staff and by cabin crew, putting up with non-existent communication inside the cockpit, and going through totally pathetic ground school training (that included a twenty minute "self-defence" course, in Chinese, by some kickbox-dude). When sitting together with other expat-colleagues in a pub (locals don't want to be with you and after a while, you don't want to be with them either), you get the feeling that everyone is unhappy and all you ever chat about is "which company will you go to next?"
You live inside a run-down dorm, where you have a furnished studio with WiFi and a gym. It's convenient, because you only take the elevator down to the briefing room-area. You won't be spending too many nights there per month anyway, so it's alright. But it's not the same as a home. If you want to live in a flat somewhere, you can do that, but you will pay for it yourself. You also have free health insurance, but all that means is you may visit the EVA-medical center on the first floor of your dorm, where nobody speaks proper English and they hand you a handful of anti-biotics against your flu, your upset stomach or your back pain. If you get ill during a layover, woe to you, as you'll find yourself waiting on the corridor of a low-budget hospital between junkies and people with gunshot wounds.

On the positive side, layovers are usually long enough (you'll be doing a lot of North Pacific crossings to the USA). Rosters are really stable. The time that you spend in Nankaan doesn't cost you much, so though your salary is pretty low, so are your expenses. You do get your consecutive OFFs, you travel for free onboard EVA Air, and together with pretty good staff travel agreements, commuting works out quite well. Unlike in the PRC, the internet is unrestricted, so you can freely access youtube and google. Plenty of cafes and convenience stores around your accommodation, taxis are cheap, and the area is safe for walking (though filthy). There is even a mall about 15 minutes walk away, but don't expect it to be like in Dubai. Taiwanese people outside EVA are usually friendly, but mostly don't speak any English. They have their own culture and don't care much for yours.

If you do decide to come here for your personal reasons, fair enough. Things don't change much here, so life just drags on as you do your day-by-day routine. Therefore you must have some kind of personal goal ahead of you, or else you'll go into a personal crisis eventually. If you like the Far East, as you say: good. You're gonna get plenty of it.

Last edited by Matra 4EB; 15th Mar 2024 at 10:31.