PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ecojet? The smell of kerosene no longer?
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2024, 11:01
runway30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is clearly more difficult to start an airline in the UK than it was 30 years ago. Whilst this project is clearly well funded, unlike many projects discussed on these boards, does that in itself guarantee success?

Two operations have become a problem, starting on a ‘B’ licence and operating turboprops.

Pre EasyJet, which decided on a different startup model, the route into airline ownership for a small amount of capital was the ‘B’ licence and then grow from there. When Air Passenger Duty was introduced, the sub 20 seat market was exempt, a situation that hasn’t continued unless you operate under a PSO.

Turboprops still have a niche which as I see it is as a regional feeder for network carriers or connecting remote communities.

The last attempt at UK wide point to point services, Flybe, failed spectacularly. Now many will point to management failings, jet leases etc. but the bottom line is that you can’t offer fares operating turboprops that compete with the low cost airlines.

I would encourage potential airline CEOs to sit down with a blank piece of paper and decide where their future airline sits on the convenience/cost line. Convenience being the level of service you offer such as service frequency, level of onboard service, free ancillaries. As you offer less convenience you move towards lower cost.

To bring us back to the thread, the questions I have are
1) Can a new turboprop operator be successful?
2) Low emissions has to be seen as a convenience because it will come with a higher cost. Will passengers be prepared to pay that higher cost?