PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Birth Certificates - RAF Brats born overseas
Old 14th Mar 2024, 09:46
Gordomac

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Curious read. Caught my attention on a housebound day, but get this folks. Yes, agreed ; the US Visa waiver stuff is based upon citizenship, not place of birth.

The Brunei case was a flashback. Based in Bahrain, we had tons of expats living illegally in the Kingdom. Some had kids born there and fell into the 60 day grace period.

My case is a right larf. Born in British India pre-partition, of British parents (Dad a Major in the British Army, oft called the British Indian Army (!). I entered the earth plane existence in Secunderabad, a Princely State within Hyderabad and, technically, not part, therefore of "British India" but it is where the British Military Hospital was. Gees, immagine, over the years, the fun I have had with that little lot.

Travelled all over the world on my parent's passports. Holding a UK passport does not, necessarily mean that one is a UK Citizen. Don't know if it is still in use but we were all issued with UK passports but it had on the title page, "British Subject with the right of abode in the United Kingdom".

As a Viscount First Officer with Northeast Airlines at Leeds Bradford, my middle Sis warned me to change my status to "citizen" as there was something going on that I was blissfully unaware of. Big sis escaped the toxic home environment to Elba, Italy, married at the first opportunity to a local waiter ,kept her Brit Subject status but was warned that she would have to choose between Italian status or British status under the new rules

I investigated and was offered quick paper-work and interview to become a UK Citizen or become an Indian. I would lose my right of abode too. Blimey, not making this up. I asked the Leeds lot that since I was seeing a Russian chic, could I be a "Red-Indian" but nische bloke from Wakefield didn't even giggle.

Interview was even funnier. Middle-aged Lady with delightful hat covered in plastic fruit stepped me through the swearing-in process in a luvley northern accent. Faced with a Secunderabadian, (turned out looking like the Head-waiter from the Balti..........another really long story...........) she was very slow and deliberate in asking me to repeat her words. Astonished by my cut-glass BBC accent(southern) she nearly fell of her chair, expecting an Indian accent. She looked in admiration and said; " May I say Gordon, you do have a loovlee accent "..

So, all you lot born in British Military hospitals in places that were not under British Rule, check you are not holding a passport that shows you to be a British Subject.

Awaiting the Nazeem of Secunderabad to tell me that I am in line for a massive "local" citizen share of millions of rupees. I will drop the "Bort I'm BRITISH.....thru and thru...." !
The following users liked this post: