PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C172 down near Camden - one fatality
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2024, 10:45
Squawk7700

Received 194 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Global Aviator
It’s probably been discussed above somewhere but this was not a typical 1st solo. 51 hours flight time, including 4 hours solo in the Gazelle RAAus.

I am not an instructor. I just thought this to be an interesting point.The student pilot held a Class 2 aviation medical certificate and a Recreational Aviation Australia (RAAus) pilot certificate[6] issued late June 2023.The student pilot had accumulated 51.3 hours experience on this certificate, including 37.1 hours in a Skyfox Gazelle.[7] The pilot had also completed 4.1 hours of solo flight under the RAAus certificate.
I personally went from a Skyfox Gazelle to a 172. I had my RAAUS certificate and after about 3.5 hours in a 172 I got my PPL.

I found the 172 very easy to fly with the exception of having to climb out a bit shallower than I was used to as the speed washed off more quickly than I was used to. It was a very simple conversion. I can't help but feel that he was experienced enough to be able to fly that aircraft.

172 drivers - To hit 170+ knots with a 10,000fpm descent rate, at 35 degrees dive with 1 stage of flaps applied from 1,000ft AGL, I'm assuming you'd practically need full power, would that be correct?

I'm also wondering why eye witnesses said that the engine sounded like it was over-revving, just after he lowered flaps, presumably about to turn onto base!