PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does a company pilot require an AOC?
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2024, 10:30
Mach E Avelli

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by NeverEndless
Correct, small GA aircraft like tailwheel mentioned, VFR, just like the training navigation flights, but now with passengers

I thought that was the whole point of getting your CPL, so you could start small with the required knowledge and experience and work your way up. That was just a reckless comment Squawk7700.

I just never considered this to be an issue while I was doing my training. To even have a couple of mates up in the air with me for a fun flight, who'd like to cover all the costs, is considered illegal. I should've thought ahead and applied for an AOC during RPL training!
You are having a go, working to create an opportunity. Ignore the naysayers who suggest a bare CPL with 200 hours does not fit you for what you propose, assuming it’s a fairly basic VFR operation.
In today’s litigious climate, insurance is the biggie. Make sure that you are competent to fly the aircraft (flight review signed off etc), the aircraft is in appropriate category (private, air work, whatever) and ask to see its certificate of insurance. It’s a given that you would see the maintenance release.
If the aircraft owner is in the business of hiring out, he should cover insurance, both hull and liability. The hirer (your employer) may have some form of damage excess imposed. That would need to be clear in the hire agreement.
You definitely do not want to carry the can for hiring it, because if you do, and then take payment from another party to recover your costs, you are indeed heading down a whole new rabbit hole.
As for the whole AOC nonsense, don’t ask CASA for permission. Forgiveness perhaps.