PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadet Gliding pix in the 80s (pre glass)
Old 12th Mar 2024, 11:13
chevvron

Received 98 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by POBJOY

XS650 & 651 I think were a Mc Robert Trust presentation pair to the Air Cadets.
Pobjoy was sent off in one at Swanton by I Ladley after a weeks 'helping out' as a P2 staff cadet. Told 'not to spin it' (that was the brief) and then did 5 launches. A week later it arrived at Kenley so I promptly DI'd it and put it on the line early on the Sat. Was then told 'only B cat's' allowed to fly it by the duty instructor. Quick as a flash produced a log book signed by IL and stunned silence. Had said machine pushed back to the fence for more cable length and told winch not to hold back. Kenley is short but managed over 1,000 ft dropped the nose did two loops and was promptly grounded !!!, but it was worth it. Sequel to this was a week later when the paperwork from Swanton arrived and IAN had signed a log book entry chit for me confirming the Swallow (and aero's) a P2 check and aero towing. Pobjoy promptly 'ungrounded' and B cat's miffed (some had yet to fly it). Will wait for a 'Canopy T21' thread for another Swanton tale.
Of course when I flew the Swallows they were in proper training silver with yellow bands (looked much better that way) and had the presentation crest on them. PC
Yes I remember the rule about 'B' cats and above.
We had both '650 and '651 at Halton at different times; they were both dayglo and silver not yellow and silver.
I await the 'Canopy T21' thread with great interest; we hated them and tried to avoid usng them.