PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KAPF - Naples Florida - Challenger crash on highway
Old 8th Mar 2024, 12:56
1southernman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aeromech3
Ground running an L1011, after start the throttle was moved just a little, but the engine accelerated towards T/O power; the cut off switch worked fine; RR stated it could not happen, but some months later came back with the FFR strip report that a failure had allowed full throttle internally.
I recall the cut off switches are a simple design much like you would have found in 1960 car dashboards with a sprung forward position for extra cold start fuel flow the guards were simple too, 1/2 moon type fences.
I was surprised from above B J J entry, to learn the throttles need to be retarded so achieve cut off on this Challenger, fire handles are a lot slower in my circumstances.
What need was there for these larger switch paddles on the Challenger beats me!
My experience on small jets was older Citations...The TLs had triggers mounted such that you pulled up on the trigger to move the TL in or out of cutoff...So you had to pull the TL all the way back to the stop for shutdown...I believe the Challenger "paddles" work the same way...They're not fuel shutoff switches like the BUS or levers like Boeing...So in the event of a stuck TL the only way to shutdown would be activating fire fighting stuff...B

Last edited by 1southernman; 8th Mar 2024 at 16:41.