PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Teaching navigation
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2024, 18:00
Uplinker

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by EXDAC
I find GPS track to be far more useful than compass heading for flying a raw data ILS. I'm quite sure it would be better than compass heading for an NDB approach too but I haven't flown one since I had GPS available. GPS track is at least as good as compass heading for everything else listed.

Most, if not all, GPS based navigation systems can be configured to display ground speed and track and these parameters are very useful even if no destination or route has been entered.
Yes, I have used Airbus FMGS and FMGEC (IRS and GPS referenced), on an almost daily basis for many years' airline flying.

My point is that a new pilot should be taught to use compass and paper map in the first instance, so that this most basic navigation is ingrained into their thought processes and situational awareness. For example when lining up on runway XX, for gross error mitigation they actually check that their compass agrees with the runway designation ATC just gave them, not the line on their GPS.

GPS and FMS systems are indeed wonderful, but when the electrical power goes or the GPS is jammed or there is a map shift, or the data base is out of date etc, one could get into a tricky situation if one does not have the basics always running in the background.

There might come a day when a PPL has to recover to an ILS/VOR/NDB flown via raw data, in which case the standard method of selecting a heading and monitoring the deviation bar would be useful to have in one's armoury. And also handy to be able to calculate drift and select a suitable heading for crosswind approaches and holds mentally.

What is the legal status of these Nav systems in PPL flying ?