PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air France B777 control issues landing CDG
Old 2nd Mar 2024, 18:28
hans brinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BraceBrace
All discussions on connected controls "breakout" feature can be boiled down to training IMHO. I cannot believe pilots were not aware of the existance of this feature. However this feature is "presented" in training only as a "solution ico jammed controls". I personally admit I never thought it would be possible that "fighting pilots" would create a similar effect and breakout could be achieved in such a scenario as these forces are fairly high.

A simple demo of both pilots giving opposite inputs in training would create the necessary awareness and avoid future problems.
Reminds me of the training exercise we did on the DHC8. Came with PULL-TO-DISCONNECT for pretty much all controls in case of flight control jams. This was something of a CRM exercise. Instructor would jam the ailerons, disable the spoilers and the rudder (I think total hydraulic failure). Only thing working was the elevators. If you disconnected the pitch control, and had one pilot pitch and power for altitude, and the other pitch for angle of bank you could fully control the aircraft. Bonus points for differential power in the turns for turn coordination. Don't think it was ever needed in real life, but great to see how important working as a crew is vs not knowing what the other guy is doing.