PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Married quarters
View Single Post
Old 29th Feb 2024, 10:40
adminblunty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone may want to draw Rosie’s attention to this from the AFPRB report 2023:

‘MOD assessed that Service accommodation offered excellent value for money for personnel of all ranks as a result of the subsidy. The monetary value of the Service Family Accommodation (SFA) subsidy was between 43% and 73% depending on type of accommodation occupied. The Single Living Accommodation (SLA) subsidy for a ‘Grade 1 for Charge’ en-suite room compared with the median private rental for a room stood at between 45% and 80%’

Or more explicitly, point out that say an OF3(Maj/Sqn Ldr/lt Cmdr) on a mid point salary of £69.5k pa pays circa £17 rent and £6.07 Contribution in lieu of council tax per day or £715 per month for a Type IV (two double bedroom and 2 single bedrooms) (source JSP 464), which from memory includes Water rates. Versus circa £1800 per month to rent a 4 bedroom property in Warminster plus council tax (say £200) and water (say £35) or £2035 per month. Or they could buy a bed property locally for between £950K and £275K and run the risk of having any random living next to them. (Source Rightmove)

So to Rosie et al I say I hope you have deep pockets to be able to pay the extra £1500 per month to have officer standard accommodation if her other half leaves.

I won’t cover the pension differential either, but worth thinking about

SFA-SLA-Accommodation-Charges-extract-WEF-April-2022.pdf (aff.org.uk)