PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EC-130 Crash California
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2024, 10:17
Lala Steady

Received 100 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Robbiee
No, I don't get your point.

My chain of bad decisions the day I almost died, was in spite of my knowing that what I was doing was a bad idea. It wasn't overconfidence, I just turned off my brain because I was overcome by "get the job done" itis. Why did I do that? I don't really know? Why do good pilots sometimes make bad decisions? **** happens, that's why.

Get the point?
No, you made a bad decision to get airborne - plenty have done that due to commercial or other pressures but then plenty have turned round or landed when things got worse, you didn't.

That is the difference between good and bad pilots, recognising you have made an error before it becomes a fatal one or as in your case a near miss.

This is an important safety point which you should really take on board - what was the urgency to get the job done? Lifesaving?

What is concerning is that you are happy to dismiss it as **** happens rather than analysing why you 'turned off your brain' and then portraying it as some sort of big boy's adventure.

All pilots have near misses and most of the time that is due to circumstances beyond their control - yours wasn't. Own it don't dismiss it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lala Steady: