PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - TAS from RAS, Altitude and Temperature.
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2024, 15:59
JDCAVE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Megan! I have my volume of DTC Bennett's the Compete Air Navigator to a good friend, and had to ask him to photograph the relevant pages. I did not receive page 144. Also see page 170 which is Appendix IV (4).

I have completed my work and now have some formulae:

Course True (AKA True Heading)=RQDTrack+DEGREES(ASIN(WindS/TAS*SIN(RADIANS(RQDTrack-WindD+180))))
Ground Speed=(TAS*COS(RADIANS(RQD Track-Course True)))+(WindS*COS(RADIANS(RQD Track-WindD+180)))

Here's the tricky one, TAS:

'TAS=ROUND((1+(((118.8*(TEMP-(HEIGHT*-0.001983+15.014))+HEIGHT)/1000)^2*0.00025351+((118.8*(TEMP-(HEIGHT*-0.001983+15.014))+HEIGHT)/1000)*0.01333941+0.00364865))*RAS,0)

The relationship between RAS and TAS with correction in Height with Temperature is a polynomial, R-Squared is 0.9999. The polynomial is definitely the best fit of 1/√σ at height. So Height is corrected for the deviation of OAT from Standard Temperature at Height.

With this formula, I get quite close to Seale's calculation with a "Mean Absolute Percent Error" (MAPE) of 0.64%. The comparison of the Ground Speed (G/S) calculations (Seale's and Mine) gives a MAPE of 1%, so close.

I find that my calculation of TAS is biased at very low heights (<3,000'). The fit of the polynomial model does not handle this well. The problem is the fit of 1/√σ at height is non-linear and Bennett provides no clue as to how this should be fitted. Remember, non-linear fitting would be severely challenged in the late 1930's when his book was published.

Remember, I am not a pilot. Only an enthusiastic amateur historian with a quantitative itch!

Note: I am still unable to post photos or other attachments. I get an error message that I am unable to post a URL, even though my message has no URL. I think the attachment of my calculation would be informative.

Jim