PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Questions regarding pilot qualifications
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2024, 03:33
Sukhoi77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions regarding pilot qualifications

Good morning/afternoon everyone, I am kinda new to this forum and the aviation sector in general and I wish to be a pilot as well on day. I am about to finish my studies within a few years and then hopefully join a fight school. My father has been a pilot for more than 30 years. He wishes that I take on the family profession as well.

So the thing I want to ask is that; for some reasons, my father is really persistent in wanting me to get a EASA standard license and to specifically study in Europe. He told me that even with all his qualifications (10,000+ hours, no incidents, was a DFO, fleet chief, and other administrative positions in multiple different airlines throughout his career), he wasn’t able to join some “High-tier” airlines only because he did not have a EASA standard license or something. He also said some other aviation nerdy stuffs about “frozen-ATPL“ etc that I should acquire.

I am not saying I don’t believe my dad, I really do; however, I think he may have misunderstood some of the requirements. Could somebody please tell me what my father is worried about here?

My father got his PPL, CPL etc during the 80s, we live in a commonwealth 3rd world country (Bangladesh), I know things have changed a lot in aviation since his hay day. However, he seems really worried and extremely persistent in me getting a “Frozen ATPL and EASA license” or something. Could somebody please explain me that?