PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Married quarters
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2024, 17:01
cynicalint

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Army exodus

SIR – Sir Iain Duncan Smith (Comment, February 16) warns of a forthcoming exodus of military officers.

As the wife of a serving Army officer, I must report that as a result of the Ministry of Defence’s decision to strip us of our guaranteed access to officer-standard accommodation, this is well under way. I know officers who have already given notice and we have evidence that significant numbers are now actively planning their exit over the next couple of years.

The reality for my husband and me is this. Because we have not yet produced children, we are set to have our living space slashed by 38 per cent.The long absences – and risks – inherent for service personnel strain family life. The frequent moves – especially for officers – often ruin a spouse’s career, further limiting household income. Now they are coming for our accommodation too.

Members of the Armed Forces are prevented by the chain of command from voicing their objections publicly. The only means left to make their dissatisfaction known is to vote with their feet and leave.

Rosie Bucknall
Warminster, Wiltshire