PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KAPF - Naples Florida - Challenger crash on highway
Old 18th Feb 2024, 12:24
WITCHWAY550

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am interested in knowing what the FDR and CVR shows, as we all are.

My feeling and what the evidence in a very limited way shows is first both engines quit, presumably simultaneously. I can only attribute lack of fuel to that as a “reasonable” contributing factor.

Both engines are fed by the single tank that has no quantity indicator. Instead it has low level warning annunciator. Probably red. From that indication to no fuel remaining in the collector tank would be in part determined by the combined fuel flow and possibly by either no fuel transferring or insufficient fuel flow from the main wing tanks. Either because they were empty or some other reason the fuel was not able to flow into the collector.

I would best say the annunciation of that Low Level does not leave the crew with much to go on unless they anticipated it because they initiated a flight with not enough fuel for the flight. If they were tankering extra then they had enough fuel and we go back to the low level in the collector tank. This should be as critical of an indication as a smoke or fire warning. You see it you act on it.

However they were close in, setup for landing, and no other options and that warning just did not or would not and could not alter their plan. They had a plan to land and they were committed by that point. I take a concerned approach to their transmissions once both engines failed. Professional and extremely “normal” in tone. I don't know if one would expect anything else than that from a crew that is experienced as this crew was.

Finally I would say that if this theory proves to be the reason, aside from not knowing why the collector tank went dry, a lot of this will make better sense.