PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Run-ups during a flight
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2024, 00:38
KRviator

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Mach E Avelli
Indeed. What is SO hard to understand?. The instructor is PIC…yes even in that RV with the EFIS that the instructor may never have flown.
Whether the pilot being reviewed logs it as ICUS or dual is something to be agreed between the pilot and the instructor to sign off. That should be made clear at de-briefing.
CASA or a future employer would probably only be interested if the candidate falsely entered the flight as PIC. It’s only 2 hours every 2 years FFS.
UUhh nnooo I don't think that's the case... PICUS has to be approved by the Operator. Or more specifically, the "supervising pilot" has to be approved by the Operator. If the Operator approves a pilot whom they know is not competent to operate the aircraft, per that General Competency bit, they're likely at risk of a pineapple from our beloved regulator. And if the Instructor isn't competent in the aircraft, they're not authorised to exercise the privileges of their licence. Which may well be different from exercising the privileges of their rating given the verbose nature of our regulations, but I CBF trawling through what passes for our regulations to find out.

However, the definition of "Operator" in the definition of PICUS requires the Operator to have an AOC. So, in our example of going up with an Instructor (competent in the equipment or not), you cannot log PICUS on an AFR unless it's in an aeroplane that's on someone's AOC. So no AOC = no ICUS.

"operator" , in relation to an aeroplane, means a person who holds an AOC that authorises the use of the aeroplane in application operations.
"pilot in command under supervision" means a pilot, other than a student pilot, who performs the duties and functions of the pilot in command of an aircraft under the supervision of a pilot who is authorised by the operator of the aircraft to conduct the supervision.

I can't even remember what I logged my last AFR as, nor do I really care. A couple of hours here and there mean diddly to me since I'm not cranking to prove my hours to QF or JQ.