PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Run-ups during a flight
View Single Post
Old 15th Feb 2024, 08:16
Clinton McKenzie

Received 255 Likes on 125 Posts
Apologies for answering a question with some questions, but:

What do you expect to learn from a 'run up' check that you won't learn as soon as you apply (what you think is) full power or can't learn without a 'run up'?

To put this question another way:

When in the last - let's say two decades - has anyone discovered, during 'run ups', that a CSU unit on an 'average' GA aircraft is malfunctioning in a way that will pose a risk to safety, which malfunction wouldn't become evident as soon as full power is applied? I'm not aware of anyone. I know my CSU will fail 'full fine' and, in the unlikely event that the engine 'overspeeds', I can easily deal with that. Both are 'fail safe' problems.

When in the last - let's say two decades - has anyone discovered, during 'run ups', that there's a magneto or sparkplug malfunction that would not become evident from selecting each magneto, individually, at idle/taxi revs? Not me. (Don't tell anyone, but I usually do my magneto and sparkplug checks at cruise power in the cruise, just before TOD, but only after the engine 'numbers' were all normal during take off - that's why I 'made it' to the cruise. Cruise power at altitude is where developing ignition problems will first show up.)

Carby heat? Discuss.

Who's the pilot in command of your hypothetical flight?

Last edited by Clinton McKenzie; 15th Feb 2024 at 08:26.
The following users liked this post: