PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KAPF - Naples Florida - Challenger crash on highway
Old 15th Feb 2024, 03:10
punkalouver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I used to do freshwater scuba diving in Florida when I would go down for sim training(plus one manatee encounter swim). I dived at several springs and a river where there actually was an alligator on the riverbank that we passed in the boat. I think the alligator attack thing is overblown. Yes, there are attacks but compared to the number of scuba dives/swims, the proportion of incidents is small. In other words, if you ditched your aircraft in the water and survived the crash, you would likely survive the possibility of an alligator attack. Bottom line, considering a ditching is not a stupid suggestion. Therefore, to decide not to ditch and choose a much riskier option would be foolish.

I guess many people have this idea of a human touching the water and multiple crocs immediately starting to swim over like a James Bond movie. Perhaps similar to many people automatically thinking of a crash when they think of an airliner.

For reference....."There were 401 unprovoked alligator attacks on humans in Florida between 1948 and 2021. Out of these 401 incidents, 25 led to fatal attacks. Most Florida alligator attacks occur near fresh water sources like lakes, ponds, and rivers. Florida witnesses an average of 7 unprovoked alligator attacks on humans per year".

7 attacks on probably millions of people going for a swim/scuba dive.

Last edited by punkalouver; 15th Feb 2024 at 15:14.