PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructor/Student Relationship - a failure to communicate?
Old 27th Jan 2004, 19:08
strafer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think flying schools could do a lot more to generate new business. For example, how many people outside of avaition do you know who've even heard of the NPPL? I also think a lot are put off by the quality of planes available. Having tatty (even though well maintained) planes is inexcusable.

Also, I don't think about it now, but the first time I had carb heat explained to me, I thought, "What the ****'s going on"? Fuel injection has been around for God knows how long and you're still using carburetters - even though they can kill you?". This is musuem technology - Morgan cars might look good, but how many people drive them? Wobbling about on the motorway with drum brakes 50 years after ABS was invented is very much a minority pastime. Training planes should be new(ish), comfortable and modern. And for people whose knowledge of planes stretches to being able to identify Concorde and Spitfires - let's face it, Cessnas are pig-ugly.

All this costs money obviously, but an increase in potential flyers = an increase in revenue.

(Sorry for the tangent Whirly - you're right, bad service in whatever form is unacceptable, but I thought the British were starting to grow out of their 'mustn't grumble' attitude).