PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Recruiting
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2024, 20:14
Raph737

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Sick
They do give feedback, so I can categorically confirm that I was rejected for being insufficiently "woke", or words to that effect. (in my answers to the two woke probing questions). No ranting, I thought I was towing the woke line in a pragmatic way, but obviously it didn't come out the way they wanted. Treading on egg shells these days - can do without that.
Lucky escape by the sounds of it.
I am very aware of that, you gave the game away as you’re using “woke” as an Insult like most gammon section of this country. You said “towing the woke line in a pragmatic way”. In other words, you were dishonest and they picked it up, these people aren’t stupid. Also, to speak like that it is very obvious you are soo deep in your privilege that you didn’t do any research.

It was as simple as siting down with a friend from an ethnic minority, or a female pilot or anyone from LGBTQ+, or someone with a disability and ask them “how is it truly like for you in aviation, under your skin?”.

With all due respect, it’s what truly intelligent people do, instead of listening to right wing demagoguery, they would go to the source and hear the human side. You cannot replicate or replace the human experience, and you cannot tell someone how they should feel about something. You would have learned something that would make you a more round individual, and you would be more prepared to answer a question like that even if you disagreed with it, but it would come from a place of understanding and honesty.

One would argue that they were the ones who dodged a bullet. Because “woke” is simply having or marked by an active awareness of systemic injustices and prejudices, especially those involving the treatment of ethnic, racial, or sexual minorities.

It is very clear in their website, the company values and ethos, it has changed and you don’t have to like it. Most curious is that you applied whilst disagreeing with it.

Go to a BA assessment and disagree with their mission, very likely they won’t hire you, same for most airline HR assessments. You need to prove to them that you are passionate about their brand and ethos, and even if you disagree with certain aspects. Problem with the anti-woke brigade is that they are usually awful and say deplorable things, like something racist followed by “we can’t say anything these days, treading on eggshells”.

Yes you can say what you want, it is freedom of speech, not freedom from consequences. Compassion, empathy, kindness, awareness of our privileges (most pilots are), awareness of the injustices in our system etc. It’s not that hard mate.

I have recruited pilots for years and have seen a lot of ugly things in recruitment, from racism to Islamophobia, sexism etc. The way things were before weren’t great either so I can blame them from trying to be inclusive.

Last edited by Raph737; 12th Feb 2024 at 20:59. Reason: Spelling