PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Atlanta Iceland
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2004, 16:41
Phil Squares

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil

I can't agree enough with what "howlowcanugo" and "2bad2sad"
have written.

AAI is a very strange environment. On one hand, they expect everyone to "bend" the rules. Duty days are routinely planned over what is allowed. When you question the "planning" they come up with the age old excuse "Captain's discretion". If you don't like it, what are you going to do? You're only a contract employee! Turning a blind eye towards things that have to be written up....it's expected and condoned. I hear last Hajj there was a -100 that flew with the rudder ratio light illuminated for the whole Hajj. According to the DDPG/MEL it's a no-go item. And the icing on the cake was the "new and improved" contract. I think most pilots took it as an insult.

On the other hand, if you want something done, a "favor", you will find the shortest memories in the world. If it weren't for the contract pilots AAI would have shut down years ago.

I realize it's an Icelandic company and the Icelandic pilots should get a better deal, but as it is now, it's a different world for contract pilots. There is no reason why AAI couldn't offer the contract pilots 20 on and 10 off. The real reason they don't is it would require planning. That's where there is a void.

Granted, some of AAI's work is last minute, but more and more of it is long term freight. They know the scheduld for 3 months in advance. If you look at the "master plan" you will see there is a continual shortage of crews. If the contract calls for 6 crews/aircraft, they might staff it with 4 or 5 and hope nothing goes wrong.

Anyhow, for those that have no other choice, my sympathy. For those that do have choices, please take advantage of it. That will get the powers to be to wake up. And perhaps get Jerry O'Springer out of there!