PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Irish Air Corps - what's going on here ?
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2024, 18:49
pax britanica

Received 48 Likes on 21 Posts
Some years ago i used to go to a regular international telecoms event in DC and for various reasons became quite friendly with the Costa Rican delegate. A very suave character with excellent English and a great sense of humour.
He said that while Costa Rica didn't have an army, that wasn't to say it didn't have a defence system. This was phone on the presidents desk with 1-800-PENTAGON written on it.

these events were always interesting and for some years, I would be seated close to Argentina and as we both liked football I got along well with the Argentina delegate, we used to literally compare notes that his foreign ministry had given him about lslas Malvinas and the Foreign Office had given me to respond to his statement. We did debate swapping them for a laugh but figured someone would notice and not be amused. His brother had been to the said islands and told him it was the worst place nods earth in terms of bleakness and bad weather. the Plenary sessions to these sorts of events were often pretty boring and these minor amusements were welcome. Another one was the misspelling or Ireland to avoid Iran and Iraq sitting next to one another / As these were telecom global telecoms events the complexities were not as strictly observed as they would be at political events