PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Irish Air Corps - what's going on here ?
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2024, 17:18
Thud_and_Blunder

Received 89 Likes on 35 Posts
I'm with Lonewolf on the subject of Costa Rica - had the privilege of visiting there last year and was impressed by how they spend the money saved by not having armed forces. Yes, there was a police presence in areas where immigrants from the 2 more-troubled neighbours tend to congregate - and that police presence appeared competent in its handling of its firearms - but every Costa Rican I spoke to was aware of how the savings paid for their universal education and universal basic health cover (the latter can be topped-up privately, but I have the impression from my conversations that the basic is adequate at the very least and probably better in terms of waiting lists than the UK's NHS). I was particularly struck by the pride of its citizens in Costa Rica's literacy and life-expectancy levels, as well as their general engagement in society rather than just in the wants/needs of the individual. No jingoistic nationalism for them - they're just properly chuffed with the benefits brought by hard work and sound investment. Even if some of the last goes toward China... but so does a lot of our money.
The following users liked this post: