PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Irish Air Corps - what's going on here ?
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2024, 16:27
Tartiflette Fan

Received 286 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Martin the Martian
One might also reasonably ask what have Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania ever done for NATO except border Russia? I'm not the one asking that, before you jump down my throat again, but it is a valid question. NATO has spent millions on military infrastructure in the Baltic States and provides its primary means of air defence. Would those countries ever be able to afford their own jet fighters? Like Ireland, of course not, but unlike Ireland they border Russia, and are seen to be worthy of the money.
Bordering Russia gives them significant strategic value to NATO to the benefit of the whole alliance. Estonia's current spend on defence is 3.2% , Lithuania 2.5%, Latvia 2.25% so , when combined with direct aid to Ukraine ( Estonia 1.26%, Latvia 1.09%, Lithuania 0.95% ) they are making very significant efforts..For comparison Ireland has donated 0.02%* It insults the Baltic states to bracket them with Ireland.. 0.02% is shamefully low when you consider that as a neutral state they should support the idea of national sovereignty and be willing to give more than a derisory amount in humanitarian aid.to a state defending itself against a barbaric aggressor. I wonder if RTE carried any news about the massacres and torture of civilians in Bucha ?

Originally Posted by Martin the Martian
One might also reasonably ask what have Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania ever done for NATO except border Russia? I'm not the one asking that, before you jump down my throat again, but it is a valid question. NATO has spent millions on military infrastructure in the Baltic States and provides its primary means of air defence. Would those countries ever be able to afford their own jet fighters? Like Ireland, of course not, but unlike Ireland they border Russia, and are seen to be worthy of the money.

If Ireland joined NATO and requested that jet fighters from other members be based at Baldonnel as Russian aircraft infringe its airspace along its Atlantic seaboard, what would be the difference? Or would that be freeloading because it is a long way from Russia?
No difference unless Ireland continued to believe and protest that 0.2% GDP for defence was a fair contribution and others should continue to pay for it. This idea of paying your way is one of the few points on which I agreed with Trump.when he was arguing with Germany about their NAATO contributions.

* https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-of-donor-gdp/

Last edited by Tartiflette Fan; 8th Feb 2024 at 16:39.
The following users liked this post: