PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ukraine War Thread Part 2
View Single Post
Old 4th Feb 2024, 23:11
ACW342

Location: 75' from the runway edge and 150' from the threshold
Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Dead Men Can’t Fly

Originally Posted by NutLoose
I must admit I do find it strange some of the reactions to the aircraft Captain being killed on here, simply because he wasn’t killed performing his duty.

As said already, he is a combatant and regardless of if he is flying or not, he it still fair game.

If you cannot take out the aircraft, take out the pilots which is the better option, take out an aircraft on the ground you can stick the pilot in another aircraft, take out the pilot and then those aircraft cannot fly and not only that you in effect take out the whole crew.

The reaction is almost as if the pilots amongst you are realising you could be killed before getting airborne and you see that as bad form.

There was a reason in Germany why they used an APC to transfer Sqn Pilots to the aircraft from the hard, it was because they were the weakest link.

The way they can target the likes of an APC or hard these days, it would probably be smarter to have the pilots dispersed in HAS or wherever with their aircraft, who knows they may do that these days.

More on his shooting.

https://twitter.com/Tendar/status/1753917748600504553
During my short tour in Wildenrath Ops in ‘73, there was a Station Exercise during which the retiring OC RAF Regiment ran his part of the exercise dressed in full mess dress. The exercise initially was very short as he had sent some of his red team to the off station officer married quarters hiring shortly before the hooter went off at O dark hundred hours and they “shot” everyone exiting the buildings and telling the corpses to go back to bed. I can’t recall what happened after this inject, but it really pointed out the weakness of the system. As an aside I did hear a rumour that somebody had dumped a bottle of vodka into the chilled orange juice container on the “Bridge” but don’t quote me on that

A342