PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C172 down near Camden - one fatality
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2024, 22:32
43Inches

Received 428 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by zegnaangelo
i thought ppl(a) and by definition anyone above should automatically have a license to transmit on an aeronautical frequency?
You have to be careful what the AROC or similar approves you to do, it is quite specific about allowing you to operate Aircraft Station radios, that is radios fitted to registered aircraft. The rules between radio use on GA vs RAA is also different, the radio transmitter itself has to be approved and compliant with Australian rules and Aeronautical Mobile Stations as opposed to Aircraft Stations have more limitations of what frequencies can be used. The rules have recently been modified as well for drone operators who need to monitor frequencies when flying drones near airports, restricted areas, and emergency events. It's quite one thing to monitor a frequency, and another to broadcast on it. I think in Australia we gloss over the radio approvals section as the old FROL, now AROC, was a pen exercise, and aircraft that are Australian registered operating within Australia do not have to carry the Radio approval paperwork. Foreign aircraft operating within Australia do have to carry radio paperwork.

The way I read the Aeronautical Mobile Station rules, is that you can operate the radio only on certain frequencies, as listed in the regulations. There is a major difference in the wording where Aircraft stations are allowed to use all AIP frequencies as published, where AMS are only allowed to use the AIP ones 'published from time to time'. PS a handheld comes under the rules for Aeronautical Mobile Stations, as well as a lot of other aircraft that carry radios that are not CASA registered Aircraft, cars etc...

Why on earth not?!? After First Solo, you'd hope the instructor has enough confidence in the student's ability that they aren't going to come to grief, but if we're speaking of the first time a student pilot has been on their own in an aircraft - it's a really freaky big deal! In my experience at Moorabbin, most instructors will do exactly that. If they can't hear communications between the student and the tower (and perhaps note the level of calmness, professionalism or otherwise in their voice) how are they supposed to do a proper and complete debrief? Just take the student's word for it?? Seriously..
The tower is trained to deal with various abnormal scenarios such as VFR into IMC, lost students, and other scenarios. At least in the old days the tower crew were quite experienced and could easily handle a student in trouble. I know Moorabbin tower will contact the school of any aircraft that does something significantly unusual, whether on a solo or not. There will be three radio exchanges between the tower and student on a solo, all brief. Take-off, downwind and clear to land, and then most likely a congratulations after landing. most students will sound a little stressed on the radio.

To be honest if you feel you have to stare at your student like a hawk the whole way round a first solo you probably are too much of a stress pot to be an instructor, or you feel you sent them too early and are somehow willing them around, rather than confident and trust the student to do what they were trained.

Last edited by 43Inches; 1st Feb 2024 at 22:53.