PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - come on Britannia...
View Single Post
Old 27th Jan 2004, 01:25
World of Tweed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Training and the like.......

Harby,

Great news about your interview......

Can't say when they'll ask you to start training but I'll give you a run down on what you'll need to do to prepare.

Sacha69's despription was pretty acurate although things have changed slightly. I completed my intial training with BY in 2002 and have flown for 2 seasons.

Okay - so about a month before your course date you will receive a study pack which will contain some Work books which you must complete before the start of your course. You'll also be given a log in ID and password for the BY training website. You have to plough through the modules on the internet I'm afraid, studying and filling the workbooks in as you go. They say it takes about 20 hours but depending on how quickly you get to grips with each subject it could take longer so be prepared for hefty phone bills if your not on 'anytime' or be really clever and use the library/college access if you have that. Basically you fill in the books from the lessons on the ineternet, a Generic Book - covers all the general subjects applicable to the whole fleet like fire fighting, seatbelts, lifejacket, life rafts etc.

Then there is the 757 booklet which you will feel like its repeating alot of the Generic stuff but ties all of that to that specific aircraft - most importantly Arming/disarming doors and equipment location diagrams, fire fighting.

Depending on where you'll be based you'll then have the 767-200ER and 767-300ER books to complete as well as Inflight Medical Care (IMC). As you can see to do justice to this heap of work you do need to spend the time doing it properly as it will mean you will sail through the actual 'Course' down in East midlands. You WILL have questions and will NOT understand everything fully but that is why you'll spend the next 4 weeks building on that knowledge with your trainers.

Location: Your course will be split between the training school at East Midlands and your home base (MAN or LGW). Your only going to be provided with accom. and food for the time you spend at East Mids so bear that in mind if you are relocating to your new base.

First Day:

After the paperwork is out of the way and depending how strict your trainers are you'll sit your first exam that morning/afternoon. Now this is why you need to study!

It isn't life or death at this stage but it is serious, if you get below a certain mark you'll be given some coaching and then asked to sit the paper again if it is still clear that you haven't studied then they do reserve the right to terminate your training. However I must admit I haven't heard of that happening at all whilst I've been here. (then again you don't really ask ) They DO want you to succeed and if your just nervous they will understand - what they are looking for is evidence that you have spent the time studying otherwise and you;ve grapsped the basics. If they let you through without this knowledge you could get yourself into deep water as the course becomes more intense. ( i.e. 2 Exams a day)

The second day for us was all practical stuff like the wet drill and slides and slideraft and the Door trainers. Also the dreaded Smoke Filled Cabin - not for the closterphobic but you only have to do it every 3 years and you DON'T go in on you own so you'll be fine. If your not a keen swimmer or don't like the water don't panic, for the wet drill you'll have a lifejacket on all the time but personally if the worst should ever happen I think you should probably think about getting some lessons!! After all if I was flying with you I'd like to think you'd be able to save me as well as yourself!

The rest of the course follows the patter of lessons/lectures, practicals and the next morning an exam on what you learnt yesterday. You also have Sales & Service training which is a laugh and your final week is spent in the Mock up cabin serving your fellow students drinks and lunch using the training equipment.

After all that its just the wings ceremony and then of you go onto the line for two Supernumary flights and then you set free to wreak havoc amongst the seniors.....which generally is the consensus about "initial" crews.......Joke!!

You've picked a great airline to start flying with, the people are great to fly with and you'll always be assured of a laugh at work. Despite what people think about charter, Britannia is very professional in terms of the Crews attitude to flying and saftey and although we don't ahve a crew rest bunks (a personal dig on my part - you'll understand on a 11.5 hrs inbound Cancun!) I can honestly say they are one of the best.

So once again well done in getting this far - just make sure your references are seamless so you can get that Airside ID and get flying!!!

If you want any further info just PM me.

WOT