PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C172 down near Camden - one fatality
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2024, 06:09
43Inches

Received 428 Likes on 235 Posts
Originally Posted by Styx75
Just so we're on the same page, are you trying to say an instructor doesn't need to or should not have to stand and supervise a circuit solo student with a radio? Cause all I've been saying is they should. Even if it's not specifically stated in their ops manual.
Never heard of any rule requiring a radio be held while observing solos. Maybe its something new, maybe its an ops manual requirement for a particular school.

Direct supervision has always been a loose rule when it comes to flying activities, like direct supervision of a junior instructor or area solo student whilst they are out in the training area, beyond ground based radio contact.

In any case this was at a towered airport, with ATC. Unauthorized use to broadcast on a handheld radio might slap you with other legal issues if you tried to communicate.

BTW what do you think the legal difference is between a first solo and subsequent solo circuits? Is there a different level of competency required for the later, a different level of supervision, different duty of care? I just remember signing off candidates for solo circuit operations and then area solo operations with operational limitations if required. The only reason the first one is a single circuit is more just the emotional side, however I have seen first solo students get carried away and do several when an instructor was not clear about doing one only, or do a go around or two before landing due to being unhappy with the approach. If it was the case a student was doing something abnormal or taking too long, then there would be more than enough time to jump in another aircraft and use its radio.

I'll add that the FAA does not require, but recommends a radio be 'at hand' during solo operations. That could mean access to another aircraft radio, or a registered base station, but not an unregistered hand held.

Last edited by 43Inches; 1st Feb 2024 at 06:31.