PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook ZD576 - The Concealed Evidence
View Single Post
Old 30th Jan 2024, 11:04
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBernoulli
Whilst I realise the two episodes of 'Chinook: Zulu Delta 576' are now available to view via BBC iPlayer, I don't understand why these episodes were only screened by the BBC in Northern Ireland. Does anyone here know why the BBC felt the rest of the license-paying public should be excluded from being able to view this on mainstream BBC channels?
The production company, Fine Point Films, is based in Belfast. They make numerous excellent documentaries aimed at, mainly, Northern Ireland, and flog them to the BBC.

This was the umpteenth attempt to get a decent, truthful documentary out, and each time canned by London. FPF first tried in 2016, others before them. The crash happened in Scotland, and killed a lot of Irishmen and military. So, no interest in London. Perhaps to get through the BBC censors, the producers decided this time to concentrate on the effect on the families. But the final part of Part 1, with Rob Burke, sets up Part 2 nicely and MoD get both barrels through the simple device of telling the truth.

The families were amazing. Chris Cook, the pilot's brother. Former RAF pilot Niven Phoenix and his mum Susan. Ann Magee. Stephen Foster.

David Walmsley of the Toronto Globe & Star got all the right points across. The weather was good. A long history of Undemanded Flight Control Movements. The RAF were prohibited from flying the aircraft. Wratten and Day said there could only be 'speculation' as to cause, but that speculation met the test of absolutely no doubt whatsoever.

Be warned. My telly only just survived the extract of Wratten sneering at Paxman.
The following 8 users liked this post by tucumseh: